Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy (PRP Therapy)
Is all Platelet Rich Plasma the same
No, Dr Weglein has invented a Super High Concentrated Platelet Rich Plasma therapy, which is only offered at our clinic. This unique therapy allows for a customized treatment based on your individual condition. Dr Weglein has published the first PRP textbook and lectures internationally on the topic. We have done more than 7,000 PRP treatments over the past 10 years. Dr Weglein is the only Certified PRP provider inside central Houston. We have treated patients from around the world and are proud to offer Platelet Rich Plasma therapy in Houston Texas.
What is Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP)?
PRP is the injection of the patients own platelets, in high concentration into an injured tendon, ligament or Muscle tear. The Platelets contain growth factors which help stimulate natural healing.
When we injure ourselves, one of the first repair cells that travel to the injury are platelets. Platelets are rich in many different growth factors. These Growth factors help attract other repair cells, (neurtophils, monocytes, fibroblasts) these "worker" cells then allow normal healing to take place.
Unfortunately, our tendons and ligaments have a very poor blood supply, which leads to an incomplete or much delayed healing response. With PRP we are helping to bring these natural healing cells to an area that have been deficient, thereby allowing the body to repair the tissue faster.
This leads to much quicker reduction in pain and faster return to sports and daily living activities.
PRP is done in our office under ultrasound guidance. The procedure takes about 45 minutes in total. First a small amount of blood is taken and placed in our office centrifuge. The centrifuge separates and concentrates the platelets. Dr Weglein will then use the ultrasound to visualize the damaged tissue. The area is injected with a numbing agent, followed by the injection of PRP all done under direct MSK ultrasound guidance.
Patients should try to be off anti inflammatory medicines like ibuprofen, naprosyn, for about one week before getting PRP.
Baby Aspirin 81mg is ok to take.
Who has done this PRP
PRP has been done since 1990.
This procedure has been used by many professional teams such as:
Used in NFL, Pittsburgh Steelers, Los Angeles Dodgers, New York Mets, Houston Astros, LA clippers, Rutgers College, Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic, and many more.
What area can you treat with PRP
You can potentially treat any part of the body that has a ligament, tendon or muscle tear with PRP. Some examples are, rotator cuff tear, ankle sprain, tennis elbow, and osteoarthritis.
Post PRP MRI results
With our new Regenerative Clinic, we are now able to make a patient specific, unique custom prp product for each individual condition. This is the only such Regenerative Clinic in the Houston, allowing us to provide superior Non Surgical treatments for tendons and osteoarthritis.
Prolotherapy can be used to treat the entire body some examples include: knee pain, shoulder pain, elbow pain, hip pain, foot and ankle pain. Conditions like: tennis elbow, plantar fasciitis, arthritis and rotator cuff.
Click to watch Dr. Adam Weglein talking on PRP therapy
Knee Pain Houston
Chilean Miners Rescue Team Director - Patient Testimonial
Bone on Bone Knee post Dr Weglein Unique PRP Treatments
- Analysis of the clinical efficacy of platelet-rich plasma therapy in the treatment of patients with isolated facet-syndrome of the lumbar spine
- A Double-Blind, Randomized Controlled Trial Comparing Platelet-Rich Plasma versus Hyaluronic Acid for Early Osteoarthritis of the Hip Joint
- Platelet-Rich Plasma Versus Corticosteroid Injections in the Management of Elbow Epicondylitis and Plantar Fasciitis: An Updated Systematic Review and Meta-analysis
- Intra-articular platelet-rich plasma injection for knee osteoarthritis: a summary of meta-analyses
- Platelet-rich plasma combined with injectable hyaluronic acid hydrogel for porcine cartilage regeneration: a 6-month follow-up
- Treatment of degenerative meniscal tear with intrameniscal injection of platelets rich plasma
- Platelet-rich Plasma-induced Inhibition of Chondrocyte Apoptosis Directly Affects Cartilage Thickness in Osteoarthritis
- Efficiency of platelet-rich plasma therapy in knee osteoarthritis does not depend on level of cartilage damage
- Para-vertebral intramuscular platelet rich plasma vs. subcutaneous ozone injection for chronic low back pain
- Can Platelet-rich Plasma Injection Help Avoid Replacement Surgery in Osteoarthritis of the Knee?
- Investigation of Cytokine Changes in Osteoarthritic Knee Joint Tissues in Response to Hyperacute Serum Treatment
- Comparison of Platelet Rich Plasma and Prolotherapy in the Management of Osteochondral Lesions of the Talus: A Retrospective Cohort Study
- The New Treatment Approach In Knee Osteoarthritis: Efficacy Of Cellular Matrix Combination Of Platelet Rich Plasma With Hyaluronic Acid Versus Two Different Types Of Hyaluronic Acid (Ha) (Prospective, Randomized, Double Blind Control Study)
- Comparative Analysis Of The Effectiveness And Tolerance Of Intra-articular Injection Of Platelet Rich Plasma Vs Hyaluronic Acid And Non-arthroscopic Joint Lavage In Patientswith Knee Osteoarthritis
- The Concentration of Plasma Provides Additional Bioactive Proteins in Platelet and Autologous Protein Solutions
- Percutaneous injections of Platelet rich plasma for treatment of intrasubstance meniscal lesions
- Single intra-articular platelet-rich plasma versus corticosteroid injections in the treatment of adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder: a cohort study.
- Injecting autologous platelet rich plasma solely into the knee joint is not adequate in treating geriatric patients with moderate to severe knee osteoarthritis.
- Mechanistic insight into hyaluronic acid and platelet-rich plasma-mediated anti-inflammatory and anti-apoptotic activities in osteoarthritic mice.
All the Patient Forms are Adobe PDF files and require an Adobe Acrobat Reader If you do not have a copy, you can obtain a free copy of the Reader from the Adobe site. Click on the Adobe logo below go download the Adobe Reader.