Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy (PRP Therapy)
Is all Platelet Rich Plasma the same
Dr Weglein has published the first PRP textbook and lectures internationally on the topic. We have done more than 7,000 PRP treatments over the past 10 years. Dr Weglein is the only Certified PRP provider inside central Houston. We have treated patients from around the world and are proud to offer Platelet Rich Plasma therapy in Houston Texas.
What is Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP)?
PRP is the injection of the patients own platelets, in high concentration into an injured musculoskeletal area. Research has shown benefits in pain and increased functionality in many musculoskeletal disorders. Please see our published research area.
When we injure ourselves, one of the first repair cells that travel to the injury are platelets. Platelets are rich in many different growth factors. These Growth factors help attract other repair cells, (neurtophils, monocytes, fibroblasts) to the damaged tissue.
Unfortunately, our tendons, ligaments and cartilage have a very poor blood supply, which leads to an incomplete or much delayed healing response. With PRP we are helping to bring these natural healing cells to an area that have been deficient.
published research has demonstrated improvements in pain and functionality.
PRP is done in our office under ultrasound guidance. The procedure takes about 45 minutes in total. First a small amount of blood is taken and placed in our office centrifuge. The centrifuge separates and concentrates the platelets. Dr Weglein will then use the ultrasound to visualize the damaged tissue. The area is injected with a numbing agent, followed by the injection of PRP all done under direct MSK ultrasound guidance.
Patients should try to be off anti inflammatory medicines like ibuprofen, naprosyn, for about one week before getting PRP.
Baby Aspirin 81mg is ok to take.
Who has done this PRP
PRP has been done since 1990.
This procedure has been used by many professional teams such as:
Used in NFL, Pittsburgh Steelers, Los Angeles Dodgers, New York Mets, Houston Astros, LA clippers, Rutgers College, Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic, and many more.
What area can you treat with PRP
Post PRP MRI results
With our new Orthobiologic Clinic, we are now able to make a patient specific, unique custom prp product for each individual condition. This is the only such Orthobiologic Clinic in the Houston, allowing us to provide superior Non Surgical treatments for your musculoskeletal conditions.
Click to watch Dr. Adam Weglein talking on PRP therapy
Knee Pain Houston
Chilean Miners Rescue Team Director - Patient Testimonial
Bone on Bone Knee post Dr Weglein Unique PRP Treatments
- Platelet-Rich Plasma Injection in Non-Operative Treatment of Partial-Thickness Rotator Cuff Tears: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
- Platelet-rich plasma versus steroid injection in rotator cuff tendinopathies – A comparative study
- Sustained release of growth factors from photoactivated platelet rich plasma (PRP)
- Platelet-rich plasma contributes to chondroprotection by repairing mitochondrial function via AMPK/NF-κB signaling in osteoarthritic chondrocytes
- Management of Lateral Epicondylitis: A Prospective Comparative Study Comparing the Local Infiltrations of Leucocyte Enriched Platelet-Rich Plasma (L-aPRP), Glucocorticoid and Normal Saline
- Platelet-rich plasma versus hyaluronic acid in the treatment of knee osteoarthritis: a meta-analysis
- Treatment of horizontal dissection of the knee menisci with platelet-rich plasma (PRP). Literature review and analysis of own data
- Consecutive injections of leukocyte-rich platelet-rich plasma are effective in not only mild but also severe knee degeneration
- Effectiveness of ultrasound-guided platelets rich plasma injection in knee osteoarthritic cases
- Platelet-rich plasma treatment alleviates osteoarthritis-related pain, inflammation, and apoptosis by upregulating the expression levels of microRNA-375 and microRNA-337
- Multiple platelet-rich plasma injections are superior to single PRP injections or saline in osteoarthritis of the knee: the 2-year results of a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial
- Platelet-rich plasma injection versus operative treatment for lateral elbow tendinosis: A systematic review and meta-analysis
- Clinical and functional outcomes following platelet rich plasma in the management of knee osteoarthritis: A case series in a tertiary care hospital
- Platelet-rich plasma versus steroids injections for greater trochanter pain syndrome: a systematic review and meta-analysis
- Platelet-rich plasma injections induce disease-modifying effects in the treatment of osteoarthritis in animal models
- The Role of Platelet-rich Plasma in Osteoarthritis of Knee-joint
- Corticosteroids or platelet-rich plasma injections for rotator cuff tendinopathy: a randomized clinical trial study
- Platelet-Rich Plasma Releasate Promotes Early Healing in Tendon After Acute Injury
- The efficacy of platelet rich plasma injections with steroid injections in treatment of lateral epicondylitis
- Effectiveness of Platelet-Rich Plasmain the Treatment of Knee Osteoarthritis
- Platelet rich plasma‐hyaluronic acid/chondrotin sulfate/carboxymethyl chitosan hydrogel for cartilage regeneration
- Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) in osteoarthritis (OA) knee: Correct dose critical for long term clinical efficacy
- Assessment of the efficacy of intra-articular platelet rich plasma treatment in an ACLT experimental model by dynamic contrast enhancement MRI of knee subchondral bone marrow and MR T2* measurement of articular cartilage
- One-year efficacy of platelet-rich plasma for moderate-to-severe carpal tunnel syndrome: A prospective, randomized, double-blind, controlled trial
- Combination of platelet-rich plasma and hyaluronic acid in the treatment of moderate and severe osteoarthritis of the knee joint
- Synergistic Effect of Nanocurcumin and Platelet Rich Plasma on Resolving Experimentally Induced Osteoarthritis in Albino Rats
- Role of intra articular injection of autologous platelet rich plasma in osteoarthrosis of the knee joint
- Platelet Rich Plasma for Treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis: Case Series and Review of Literature
- Can the addition of ultrasound-guided genicular nerve block using 5% dextrose water augment the effect of autologous platelet rich plasma in treating elderly patients with knee osteoarthritis?
- Intradiscal Platelet-Rich Plasma Injection for Discogenic Low Back Pain and Correlation with Platelet Concentration: A Prospective Clinical Trial
- Efficacy of combined ozone and platelet-rich-plasma treatment versus platelet-rich-plasma treatment alone in early stage knee osteoarthritis
- Comparison between intra-articular infiltrations of placebo, steroids, hyaluronic and PRP for knee osteoarthritis: a Bayesian network meta-analysis
- Evaluating the efficacy of platelet rich plasma injection for the treatment of chronic plantar fasciitis
- Creating cartilage in tissue engineered chamber using Platelet rich Plasma without cell culture
- Clinical Efficacy of a Single-dose of Platelet Rich Plasma in the Management of Early Knee Osteoarthritis: A Randomized Controlled Study With Mri Assessment and Evaluation of Optimal Dose
- Comparison of the Effectiveness of Intraarticular Ozone Therapy and Platelet Rich Plasma Treatment in Patients with Knee Osteoarthritis
- Intraosseous Injections of Platelet Rich Plasma for Knee Bone Marrow Lesions Treatment: One Year Follow-Up
- High Intensity Interval Exercise Increases Platelet and Transforming Growth Factor‐ β Yield in Platelet‐Rich Plasma
- A Study on the effects of injection of platelet rich plasma (Autologous) in the management of osteoarthritis of knee joints
- Comparison of Leukocyte-Rich Platelet-Rich Plasma and Leukocyte-Poor Platelet-Rich Plasma on Achilles Tendinopathy at an Early Stage in a Rabbit Model
- Bone Marrow Aspirate ConcentrateIs Equivalent to Platelet-Rich Plasma for theTreatment of Knee Osteoarthritis at 1 Year
- Is platelet-rich plasma effective for the treatment of knee osteoarthritis? A systematic review and meta-analysis of level 1 and 2 randomized controlled trials
- Comparative Effect between Infiltration of Platelet-rich Plasma and the Use of Corticosteroids in the Treatment of Knee Osteoarthritis: A Prospective and Randomized Clinical Trial
- Comparison of two platelet rich plasma formulations with viscosupplementation in treatment of moderate grade gonarthrosis: A prospective randomized controlled study
- Treating Hand and Foot Osteoarthritis Using a Patient's Own Blood: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Platelet-Rich Plasma
- Platelet rich plasma for the treatment of coccydynia: a case report and review of Orthobiologic medicine for coccydynia
- Analysis of the clinical efficacy of platelet-rich plasma therapy in the treatment of patients with isolated facet-syndrome of the lumbar spine
- A Double-Blind, Randomized Controlled Trial Comparing Platelet-Rich Plasma versus Hyaluronic Acid for Early Osteoarthritis of the Hip Joint
- Platelet-Rich Plasma Versus Corticosteroid Injections in the Management of Elbow Epicondylitis and Plantar Fasciitis: An Updated Systematic Review and Meta-analysis
- Intra-articular platelet-rich plasma injection for knee osteoarthritis: a summary of meta-analyses
- Platelet-rich plasma combined with injectable hyaluronic acid hydrogel for porcine cartilage regeneration: a 6-month follow-up
- Treatment of degenerative meniscal tear with intrameniscal injection of platelets rich plasma
- Platelet-rich Plasma-induced Inhibition of Chondrocyte Apoptosis Directly Affects Cartilage Thickness in Osteoarthritis
- Efficiency of platelet-rich plasma therapy in knee osteoarthritis does not depend on level of cartilage damage
- Para-vertebral intramuscular platelet rich plasma vs. subcutaneous ozone injection for chronic low back pain
- Can Platelet-rich Plasma Injection Help Avoid Replacement Surgery in Osteoarthritis of the Knee?
- Investigation of Cytokine Changes in Osteoarthritic Knee Joint Tissues in Response to Hyperacute Serum Treatment
- Comparison of Platelet Rich Plasma and Prolotherapy in the Management of Osteochondral Lesions of the Talus: A Retrospective Cohort Study
- The New Treatment Approach In Knee Osteoarthritis: Efficacy Of Cellular Matrix Combination Of Platelet Rich Plasma With Hyaluronic Acid Versus Two Different Types Of Hyaluronic Acid (Ha) (Prospective, Randomized, Double Blind Control Study)
- Comparative Analysis Of The Effectiveness And Tolerance Of Intra-articular Injection Of Platelet Rich Plasma Vs Hyaluronic Acid And Non-arthroscopic Joint Lavage In Patientswith Knee Osteoarthritis
- The Concentration of Plasma Provides Additional Bioactive Proteins in Platelet and Autologous Protein Solutions
- Percutaneous injections of Platelet rich plasma for treatment of intrasubstance meniscal lesions
- Single intra-articular platelet-rich plasma versus corticosteroid injections in the treatment of adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder: a cohort study.
- Injecting autologous platelet rich plasma solely into the knee joint is not adequate in treating geriatric patients with moderate to severe knee osteoarthritis.
- Mechanistic insight into hyaluronic acid and platelet-rich plasma-mediated anti-inflammatory and anti-apoptotic activities in osteoarthritic mice.
All the Patient Forms are Adobe PDF files and require an Adobe Acrobat Reader If you do not have a copy, you can obtain a free copy of the Reader from the Adobe site. Click on the Adobe logo below go download the Adobe Reader.